Monday, July 9, 2007

Ready For My Closeup, Mr. DeMille...


When we first moved to Texas, I was horribly disheartened by the lack of job opportunities in the area. Answering a newspaper ad for a graphic illustrator which contained only a phone number, I begrudgingly called. The prospective job was nearly an hour away, and payed a pocket-scorching $7 an hour. The owner, however, was very confident in his status, and very distrusting of the talents of the applicants thus far, and asked me to bring a test, of sorts. "I want you to draw me a toaster, a still life, and a sketch of yourself. Bring it to the interview, and we'll see what skills you've got." I did the drawing, although you might notice from my sketch my enthusiasm about the situation. In the end, I didn't even bother showing up. Good thing, as it turns out. I got a better job anyway.

No comments: