Friday, July 13, 2007

I Stick My Neck Out for Nobody


This is Bogart. ...Humphrey Bogart. Evidently, the title of this post was said by his character in "Casablanca," but I've never seen it. I love this ballpoint pen drawing, and eventually I want to paint it. I considered cropping it for this post, but one of the things I love about it is that it's long and thin, and I have a thing for painting thin compositions. I don't remember my reference for this sketch, but I made up my own story for it. It came from a book of photos about Bogart movies. I realize I'm Bogie-illiterate, but again, I blame my love of black & white movie photos. I thought I could experiment by putting something lying at his feet, like the slumped body of Barney the Dinosaur, or a giant clown, or a mime. That would be kind of funny.

No comments: